View Single Post
Old 30-09-2019, 10:30 PM
RyanJones

DSLR Temperature Noise Test

Hi All,

Ive been contemplating a bit of an experiment / DIY project to cool my DSLR. Let me start by saying i have no misconceptions that I will ever get anywhere near even the cheaper cooled astro cameras but its something I'd like to try.

The first thing to do to qualify the experiment is to capture some base line noise data to compare to. So for those that are interested, here is the start of my project.

I took a series of 180sec Dark subs @ iso 400 ( because its what I regularly image at ). Firstly at room temperature of approx 14deg. The second with the camera in my fridge at approx 4 degrees. The Camera is an old Astromoddified Canon 350d which is expected to be quite a noisy camera to start off with. It does not have a sensor temp sensor but this doesn't bother me too much. Given the design of the camera and the design of my potential project, I'll be aiming to reduce the overall temp of the camera, not directly cool the sensor. Although not as effective, the plan is to design something noninvasive.

Below are 2 of the subs ( 1 from the end of each set ). Before even looking at them, the difference was apparent in the file size. The cooled subs size varied by only a handfull of kilobytes between the first and last sub. The ones that came from the ambient temp climbed steadily over time and at the end of the set were nearly 150 kilobytes larger. In total the final cooled sub were nearly 250 kilobytes smaller than the ambient sub.

Questions an Critiques invited

Cheers

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Ambiant 5.jpg)
37.7 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (Fridge 5.jpg)
34.9 KB71 views