View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
alistairsam

Hi Meru

Objective was not to compare an Apo and a newt but to see just how the low qe chip stacks up to a 16 bit ccd cause there are several factors against the mono dslr like qe, dynamic range, read noise, smaller pixel being a CMOS as opposed to a larger well in a ccd, loss of microlenses etc.
The subtle details have always been so enticing with a ccd compared to a dslr. So it was interesting to see how the 4 pixels reading lum contribute to details and gradations.

This hobby being so expensive, it's worth looking at how to get decent results without breaking the bank and its just plain exciting to do something radical and see it pay off.
Also with our weather and the light pollution, narrow band is mostly what you can do from your backyard and this puts it well within reach.

As for the oag, it's such a pita. I just couldn't get it focused. Have to try again.
I was planning on ditching the mpcc and getting the RCC that gives 90mm back focus.
It would cut the light cone of an f4 but should be fine as the aps-c size is small enough for vignetting not to be too bad.
Then a filter wheel and an oag can be used.

Cooling is my next step, and isn't too much of a hassle other than condensation control.
Jtw astronomy sell cooler kits for 199euro that has been known to be fitted by a school kid. I'm planning on a sealed housing like central ds. Rowland's work here is very informative as Well.

Cheers