View Single Post
Old 16-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Terran

Thank you for all the replies guys. I plan to call Bintel tomorrow morning. The reason I decided on getting a Bintel scope was because of the positive feedback I've heard from their customers. I'm willing to give them another chance, but I'll still have to re-pack everything for the second time and it might be a good idea if I can find a way to take it down to the store and pick up more collimation tools as well. It's a 2 hour drive each way. This has been such a hassle.

Collimation - I think the problem I have is in the alignment of the focuser to the secondary mirror. If you look at the "ring" of my focuser inside the dark spot in the middle, it's only slightly misaligned in comparison to the other parts. No guide I know of even mentions this, not even Andy's. Below is an example of what the focuser ring can look like. Alligning the dark circle in the middle does not allign the focuser.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5590/focuseria1.jpg

I'll try again later to play around with the focuser alignment to see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. The reason I can't properly align anything past that early step is because for each step afterwards, every other screw I turn will warp all the other allignments out of position. It doesnt really matter for now until I get these mirrors sorted out. If I end up taking it down to the store, I'll be sure to ask them about it.

Cookie, I took a look at that "collimating the collimator" thing. My collimator definately needs to be adjusted and it explains a lot of things, but I'm not too sure if I understand it right. Is the picture below how to do it, while spinning the collimator on the nails and adjusting it until it doesn't do a circle as you spin?

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/9...imationkz7.jpg

Jupiter - So the size I'm seeing it is acurate then? Would it be a good idea to get another eyepiece with more magnification or would it be too distorted to see? The atmospheric interference hasn't really been affecting the view much, but there is a lot of light around at night.