Thread: Sketching tips
View Single Post
Old 21-07-2011, 09:52 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

A Lunar experiment

Hi all,

First I need to say that the following IS A SKETCH OF A PHOTOGRAPH. It was done as an experiment to try out a new technique that I'd like to share.

I was inspired to this after seeing the stunning sketch by Erika Rix of the crater Bullialdus. Not only is it an amazing sketch, but that she only used two bits of gear: a crayon and a charcoal pencil.

The sketch I did was using white and black charcoal on a deep violet paper. This paper allows me to see where I've used the black charcoal, and this feedback I wouldn't get if I was using black paper.

The purpose of this post is to encourage expeimentation away from the eyepiece. It all doesn't need to be done under testing conditions. Mind you, I'd be drowning right now if I was outside! So a wet night like tonight is the perfect time to tryout something new.

This experiment has me thinking about using a white pastel pencil, as the pigment would be more intense. I may also look into trying a crayon as Erika has, as its pigment would also be a little warmer, not just brighter. It also showed me it was also quite a quick sketching method. The white and black charcoals are very forgiving - you don't need to use an eraser, just go over a white mark with the black, or a black mark with the white. Easy. A crayon may not be so easy as that, but the texture of the paper would be less of a factor.

Have a go some time.

Mental.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Moon experiment.jpg)
109.3 KB174 views