View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 11:04 PM
lsimpson (Leani)

Meade LX90 - foreign object in OTA

A little metal ring has come off the tube of the focuser, a baffle perhaps, and is rattling around inside the OTA of my 8" Meade LX90 SCT.

It has left a ring of oil on the primary, though from the vantage point of the front of the scope there are no visible scratches, touch wood.

I fear using my scope because sharp metal objects rattling around inside my delicate instrument and scratching the optics can be a little disconcerting.

I've Googled "how to clean Meade LX90 primary" and similar searches and come up with a lot of "do not ever remove and clean the primary mirror of an SCT period!" type answers in forums.

Is this a job for a professional optical technician to fix, or is there a guide I can follow somewhere for how to remove the primary, thus allowing me to take out that little metal ring, and clean it, and recollimate it?

I've got a long history of owning Newtonians and refractors and have a reasonable idea of how to properly clean optics, but this is my first SCT and it's a much more complicated thing than I've ever had to deal with, and those posts I read were a little alarming!

Please help!

Leani