View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 08:03 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Martin, one thing you might be able to change that would speed up individual processes to some degree. I would assume that the bias frames are the same set of 40 used over and over? I found the bias in my pair of 2600's too be very repeatable so I created a single master bias each for 0 gain and 100 gain. Same with flats, unless I disassemble the gear I create a master flat (Per filter for the 2600MC) and load the master instead of throwing all of the raw cal files at it every time. I have master darks too though I am experimenting on using the master bias instead.

I don't know how long it would add, but if you load the same 40 bias frames every time and it takes 10 minutes to process them, that is ten minutes every time you stack lights. Even if you are not saving a master bias or master flat when you process, DSS or whatever other software (Like APP which I use) is essentially creating a master bias/whatever else each time from the raw files you are loading and applying that, it is just not saving it to reuse later.
Paul,
Thanks
DSS saves your cal frames into Masters for reuse which would save a bit of time
Unfortunately my rig in Sydney is not permanent ( I leave it out covered for a few weeks at a time ) plus it’s rare to get consecutive nights of imaging , so my camera is always removed and brought inside, so darks and bias would be ok
Down south at my Obs I could utilise Masters more frequently
We spend about 7 months of the year in Sydney and 5 months down the south coast at our retirement / holiday home , but at random times due to ( grandkids , wife still casual teaching and so on .... even though I’m retired , I’m bloody busier than ever )
Cheers
Martin