View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 10:10 AM
PRejto (Peter)

A few comments:

1. You "could" try a quick fix by swapping your RA and DEC worms as they are identical. The DEC worm might have a better spec, and the PE error in the RA worm won't matter at all in DEC.

2. You really need to measure PE as close as possible to dec=o because the measured error will decrease by the cosine of the dec angle as you move away from dec=0. That appears to be the case as your measurements got closer to dec=0. (That is, your measured PE got larger the closer to dec=0 you measured it)

3. You didn't specifically state what exactly the graph was that you last posted. Is it a measurement of RAW PE, or is it a measurement of corrected PE? I assume the former but I don't think you said which.

4. Be cautious of Chris Venter's video! It is great but missing an important step that has since been added to the written instructions about replacing the worm. Namely adjusting the 1/4-20s. That is an essential step and it really might be all that is necessary to do on the current worm. Not that hard to do! I would do it and remeasure raw PE at dec=0 before replacing. If you replace you will need to do it anyway so what's the harm?

Peter