View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 09:17 AM
glend (Glen)

Gary, congratulations on your new house. I have a similiar issue with my site, which informed my choice on the aspect of my observatory. My view to the East is totally clear, aside from some mature natives trees in the distance that do not rise above 20 degrees. My view to the south is unimpeded. To the north I have trees up to about 45 degrees, and the West is pretty much blocked by trees in the reserve behind my property but I can get down to 65-70 degrees in that direction.
So my attitude, regardless of if your visual only or imaging, is to always go for clear views to the East and South, based on the fact that everything rises in the East - you will always get to see or image it; and to the South because of the many Southern Gems that rotate around the SCP. Your more southerly latitude is going to make some northerly targets difficult anyway, like Andromeda.
As a rule I do not image below 40 degrees anyway, because it is just good practice to minimise the thickness of the atmosphere your shooting through ( so your light dome to the East maybe mostly avoided).. I can image through the Meridian on any target, and that is good enough for me. So i would recommend you choose 1 or 2, for clear East and Southern aspects. And really, why not build an observatory too?

Last edited by glend; 09-02-2021 at 10:03 AM.