View Single Post
Old 30-05-2013, 11:13 AM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bock View Post
Hi Robert,
thanks for that 'non-standard' response...and I must mention that, I always feel like turning up at the observatory, its only the crappy south-east Queensland weather that stops me most of the time, not even a lack of sleep can usually keep me out if it's clear...
Hi Greg,

It sounds to me like it is your enthusiasm and enjoyment of astronomy that gives you your 'focus' and your 'get up and go' and, even more importantly for an advanced amateur astronomer, your will to 'get back into it even after a significant distraction'

It is sometimes hard to get anything much done, as a serious amateur astronomer, due to the inevitable distractions of 'non-astronomical life'. At least we all do astronomy 'just for fun', but there is always that frustration of never having enough time to get even more serious about our astronomical projects.

I wish I had some of that focus. My own pattern is to tend to work on astronomy for two or three months consistently, but then to get distracted by some of my non-astronomical scientific hobbies.(palaeontology, entomology, fungi, soil science, etc.) (maybe I'll bring the stereomicroscope to the observing site, one day, in case it gets cloudy.....it will give us something to do!)

Best regards,
Robert Lang