View Single Post
Old 17-06-2012, 10:56 PM
AstroTourist (Terry)
Show me the universe

Eclipse phtography

Personally I have used Eclipse Orchestrator (Moonglow tech) at the last three total solar eclipses with great success.
You really can set it up and let it do its own thing through the full eclipse sequence including full partials.
I have an ASUS netbook running XP with a 10 hour battery life (key reason why I chose it), which gives plenty of time to do a test run before and then the full eclipse.
But having said that I have heard very good reports about Eclipse Maestro. Xavier is a guy who really is dedicated to getting things to perform to their best, and he is continually updating it.
Umbraphile was the first and for a while the only available program but it doesn't get updated as often.

When I am flying to an eclipse my typical setup is DSLR coupled to my 76mm f6.3 Televue either at 480mm for full corona or with a 2x at 960mm for closer in on a lightweight tracking mount. I usually have a second camera for widefield. But as I will be driving to this one, I will be taking all the gear I can stuff into the car.

Rgds,
Terry