Thread: SBig ST8300
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Kal (Andrew)
1¼" ñì®våñá

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasterguru View Post
Can I just ask then if the camera would be suitable for my ED127 running at f7.5.

I don't understand the technical side of the issues involved but am reading and trying to learn.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
frank, yes, the resolution would be good, i would think about 1.3 arcsec per pixel. Would have to check that when i get home, but i would say the KAF-8300 would be well suited to any optical system between 350mm and about 1700mm. Anything under 350mm will be undersampled. Although at that short a focal length you're not likely to notice. Anything over 1700mm will be heavily oversampled.. I'll be using mine at 480mm and 1000mm. If i can make a lens adapter, i might do some super wide field work at 50 to 135mm.. Would love to do a wide field view of orion at 50mm in sho pallete!
When you are talking about sampling are you talking about airy disk size in relation to pixel size? If this is the case you only need to take into account the focal ratio of the optics. For a F7.5 you have an airy disk that is 9.3 microns across (at the green wavelength). To adequately sample the airy disk you will need at least 4 pixels (2x2) so that means a pixel size on your sensor somewhere in the 5-8 micron range, which this sensor falls within.