View Single Post
Old 23-02-2021, 08:17 AM
Rainmaker (Matt)
Strictly Visual......

Thank you Chris for inviting me to the opening act of "Nocturne".

Once again Peter Read has created a masterpiece, like so many others, this SDM oozes quality and shows the attention to detail for which Peter is famous.

It was hot out west and the enclosed transport trailer had indeed absorbed lots of the Sun's rays, the tailgate latches were almost too hot to handle. Once the trailer was opened it was apparent that the mirror would take some serious time to try to catch up with the falling evening temperatures.

The sheer size of these 28" (and above) scopes is impressive and a bit daunting to the uninitiated, yet, once assembled, the smoothness of the motion in azimuth and altitude has to be experienced. With the drive clutches unlocked the behemoth slewed with just a finger push.

I must admit the cellular mirror did extremely well to dispatch much of the heat to the atmosphere, so much so that we were indeed able to get surprisingly tight stars before midnight. With the Ethos 21mm focused on Omega Centauri the view was simply breathtakingly beautiful.......

Chris's commitment to 'outreach astronomy' means that many Queenslanders are going to be able to share in amazing astronomical views.

The remote collimation, ServoCat, dual focusers, etc etc etc mean that Chris has a lifetime instrument of exceptional quality.

My only regret is that my offer to house it in my Custom Transit was not taken up...... (insert sad face here... )

Prelude in E minor (Op.28") ? as Nocturne emerges from Peter's trailer and a test fit into Chris's ......
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (MIS_8278s.JPG)
189.9 KB127 views
Click for full-size image (MIS_8285s.JPG)
166.3 KB136 views

Last edited by Rainmaker; 23-02-2021 at 08:47 AM.