View Single Post
Old 12-02-2021, 06:32 PM
AstroJunk (Jonathan)
Shadow Chaser

Samyang 14mm F2.4 XP Canon AE

Just picked up one of these in the Digi-Direct sale and thus far, daylight only, I'm pretty happy

Of course, its a replacement from my trusty 14mm USM that has adventured with me for a number of years but has always been a misery to use in the daytime as it's way to hard to get a great focus with on nearby objects (and the metering was off in the DSLR days).

Well the XP version is a different beast all together as it is packed with the same electronic goodies as any other fully functional Canon lens minus autofocus. So all of a sudden all of the cameras shooting modes work perfectly, most importantly Av, and saving the best till last, so does the brilliant Manual Focus Assist mode in my EOS R which is super accurate and allows me to focus whilst holding the camera at jaunty angles - Ah, bliss.

I've seen that these are not too shabby on the night sky too, but that will have to wait until those Brisbane clouds depart.

Any other users with experiences to share? I bought it local just incase there are any QC issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Samyang.jpg)
201.7 KB22 views
Click for full-size image (obs.jpg)
205.1 KB20 views