Thread: Voyager
View Single Post
Old 16-04-2021, 06:55 AM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That's awesome.
Thanks Marc. It completed another all nighter last night. I think it is cloudy tonight so time for some planning for next targets and some tweaks to settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
Yes, thanks for sharing Peter. Pretty nice all-sky camera to show the milky way passing overhead so clearly.

I've been doing quite a lot of reading up on NINA recently after you mentioned it and some other options. Wouldn't expect it outperform Voyager in the automation department, but seems to have really come along in recent years with very active contributors. Might have a play during future bright moon "engineering nights" and see how stacks up against SGP.
I was surprised the Milky Way showed up that clearly here. The old ASI120M is doing a great job considering the environment it is operating in (inside a sealed box with a Raspberry PI keeping it nice and warm.

I did spend some time with NINA and thought is was very good. The only issue for me was it didn't have the ability to control my QSI with native drivers, only ASCOM. Unfortunately the ASCOM driver doesn't allow low gain mode to be selected with 2x2 binning and that is how I'm shooting RGB. The other thing I found strange about NINA is they use Discord rather than a traditional forum. If you post a question the response seems to get lost in what seems more like a chat- might just be me not understanding how to configure it though. Other than those two niggles it looks like a really powerful tool and is getting better rapidly. Another option is CCDCiel - same developer as Cartes du Ciel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
Wow you have that down to the mm you are indeed wizard class Peter
It's taken quite a bit of experimentation but I've tried to set it up so I don't have to keep changing things other than the selected targets. I'm working on a project to automate that at the moment however it needs some Python skills that I'm lacking so currently at proof of concept stage.