View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 06:24 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeteth View Post
It's interesting to read about trends in the chip world, it does seem like a lot of manufacturers are steering towards CMOS.

I'm currently in the market for a new mono camera and have been eyeing off the QHY814a with the sony ICX814 chip, great QE with relatively low noise... but should I instead look at some of the CMOS based cameras out there? I've been told that the sony chip will be excellent for narrowband which is what I'll primarily be doing with the camera...

It's hard to make a decision with so many products out there, each with the pro's and con's.
I have been using an ICX814-based camera for about 5 years and while it is a small sensor, it is clean - no glow or patterns, no bad columns, it has a low RN at full dynamic range (4e) and has a very good QE. Even when I was stacking 100hrs worth of narrowband exposure, PixInsinight did not measure an improvement when calibrating with darks as opposed to just flats and bias. The only reason to change the sensor for me at this stage would be if I was going for a wider field, or if I gave into a temptation to try a longer focal length scope.