Thread: AstroDon
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 01:46 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Interestingly, good to hear that Astrodon have upped their QC game - possibly in response to Chroma doing the same thing with their inspection reports etc. (I was very impressed with my Chroma package when it arrived https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnZP4ucVuuA&t=5s)

However, a google search reveals that the Chroma people have reviewed their pricing recently - upwards!

This from Barrabclaw on C/N - "I was just about to buy a Chroma O-iii 3nm in the 31mm size. $490 a few days ago. I checked again yesterday and the price went up to $625. A ~30% price increase is pretty substantial.

I emailed their sales about it to ask if I was losing my mind or if the price really did go up. Definitely real. They told me that the CEO and financial people in the company reviewed yields and margins for the astronomy line of filters and they are barely making money or even losing money on some filters. They considered discontinuing the line, but decided to keep producing the filters but sell them at a higher price.

It was nice to hear from a real person and be given an explanation. However, with Astrodons now the cheaper option, I wonder how many will choose Chroma filters. I haven't seen much anecdotal evidence claiming one or the other is better, and I certainly haven't seen any systematic examination. So what will anyone go by but price? Availability, I suppose?"

Current pricing...
Optech: 2" round 3nm Ha Chroma $1300 usd
Farpoint: 2" round 3nm Ha Astrodon $1145 usd

Enjoy your new filter Peter, seems you made the right choice!