View Single Post
Old 29-05-2005, 04:17 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

Geoff,

Very well written.

I would like to add something further.

On several occasions you mention about laying the OTA flat on the ground, specifically, to remove the primary mirror/cell and to remove the secondary assembly. I don't agree with this, I have pulled many of these scopes apart and always find it easier to work with the OTA sitting on the base. To remove the primary you leave the scope on the base and let the OTA drop to its lowest position where it rests on the cross brace on the base, you then walk around the back of the scope and unscrew the mirror cell and remove it. To remove the secondary, stand at the front of the scope with it still on the base and lower the angle of the OTA so the tube lays horizontally, unscrew the centre screw on the secondary holder and remove the secondary, use your other hand to then lay the scope to its lowest pointing position resting on the cross brace. The only thing you need to remember is do not lift the tube while the primary is removed otherwise it will nosedive and smash into the crossbrace denting the tube, you need to gently lower it down against the crossbrace each time you lift the front of the tube while the primary is removed.

No need to take it off the base at all IMO.

CS-John B