View Single Post
Old 27-09-2021, 01:33 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Regards the differences between NSW, Vic (And now the ACT) and the rest of Australia.

I reckon NSW got where it did due to an apparent belief in the spin that lockdowns were a symptom mostly of Victorian incompetence (Meaning that there was no need to heed the lessons learned here last year) and that they really were the "Gold Standard" for hotel quarantine and contact tracing and that those would be enough to see them through. Add in a dose of good luck finally running out and the rest speaks for itself.

This time around in Vic, it is pretty well known that the outbreak seeded from NSW, add in people who are well and truly over it and not bothering with the restrictions much (I am in an essential services job so I have been out and about to a degree and I reckon mask use has dropped to about 2/3 of the people I see. All you usually have to do to see someone go in to a shop without checking in, is watch a couple of people go in to a shop!) once you add in a lack of good luck, well here we go again.

The ACT was more or less inevitable when surrounded by an outbreak in NSW.

The rest of the country so far has still had good luck and I hope that it continues. We have gone from the NSW government playing whack a mole on a laggy screen so they seemed to perpetually let it get away in an area before tightening restrictions in just that area, to the vaccine program playing whack a mole by sending extra supplies out of limited stocks to wherever is deepest in the hole this month.

I really hope the rest of Aus just gets to do vaccinations with the sense of urgency that it will help keep them out of a situation that is warm and brown rather than having to choose between mass vaccinations as fast as they can possibly be delivered, long term lockdown, or "Let it rip"