View Single Post
Old 23-11-2004, 06:31 AM
mch62 (Mark)

The Orion comes as either a tube only or a tube and mount.
The OTA is $820 OZ at the moment but it comes with no finder diagonal or eyepiece.
The Celestron OTA as far as what I have been able to make out has the same optics or the equalivent of the Orion (all sorced from SYNTA) and in the States at least is about $50-$80 US cheaper than the Orion. ($429-$479 US) It comes with a finder an Erect image 1/1/4" 45 deg diagonal and a 25mm eyepiece .
Its a bit lighter as the tube diameter is smaller and only has a rack and pinion focuser as compared to the Orions crayford focuser. The later it appears to be replaced by many as the crayford appears to have issues . The Celestron rack and pinion has the usual SYNTA monkey snot grease on it , which when removed fixes it up .
Both don't have an adjustable cell and reports of the Orion have it as a hit and miss as to weather you get a
good colliminated unit or you have to do some shimming .
Interesting little story I have herd is that Synta are bringing the same scope out under the Skywatcher name as we speak , at an even cheaper price but had to wait the months after Orion as that was the deal struck with Orion ?
I went with the Celestron as I traded my not so old 6"refractor in for it . Both bought from the same dealer.

Now you say you traded in a 6" for an 80mm , must be nuts?
Well I have built my 12.5" newtonian and wanted a finder , guide scope , wide field imaging lens , grab and go scope , and wanted a colour reduced image this time , so the Celestron seamed perfect for the task.
Mark

Last edited by mch62; 23-11-2004 at 06:33 AM.