View Single Post
Old 15-10-2007, 11:19 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

I agree completely! The two big limitations with this mount are:

1) The hand controller's operation for advanced use is not well documented, only its basic features - not how to tune or operate it to leverage its advanced features for a particular goal in mind.

2) Although the Hand controller can be computer controlled, it suffers even more from the above lack of documentation and how to get past constraints. Example - pointing accuracy under ASCOM seems less than issuing a goto from the hand controller or using say Software Bisque's proprietary drivers. Example - ASCOM doesn't currently reveal pulse guiding through Software Bisque's telescope interface.

There are days I feel like I am struggling to interact with a Zen master - who knows what I want, has all the knowledge and capability I need, but unless I phrase and approach my challenge in exactly the right way all I get is cryptic glances and a serene smile!

Other niceties - put the mount in unaligned polar mode - goto three stars and align on each. On the last star whilst it is centred, change the mode to polar aligned and then press goto - the star should move to indicate your polar mis-alignment. Re-centre the star using only the alt/azimuth screws and you should be in much closer polar alignment. Change mode to polar unaligned and repeat the process for even better alignment and you should really be close. I wish this data could be passed to a program like the Sky6 to help leverage all of the mount's very significant capabilities.

Last edited by g__day; 15-10-2007 at 01:14 PM.