View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 09:11 AM
Don Pensack

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmos View Post
I have the Ethos 21mm and 13mm. In the 16” SDM THE 13mm was my go-to EP for nebulae and I suspect in the 28” (TechnoFusion mirror from Normand Fullum & 1/30 lambda secondary), it may be the 21mm but as I have so far only had one hour or so at the eyepiece I don’t know yet.

I did briefly use my Nikon 17mm Nav HW 102 degree EP and thought it slightly sharper and more contrasty than the Ethos.

I need to consider my higher power tools for planetary and lunar. I do have a Vixen LVW 8mm and I do have the 2x powermate.

So here’s a question I’ve been wondering about for higher powers to view small objects like planets do you really need 100 degree views? Wouldn’t the Delos prove better?
You don't NEED 100°, but it does give you a lot more time viewing before needing to push the scope.
Now, if your scope tracks, you are freer to use much narrower eyepieces, like TeleVue Delites (one of my favorites), or.........
But narrower won't give you a better image necessarily. That will depend a lot on the eyepiece.