View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 09:15 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

I think this will be a challenging observation.

I am a experienced daytime observer, chasing Lunar occultations, conjunctions of bright objects, bright stars and double stars and testing just how close to the Sun I can see bright objects, eg Venus and crescent Moon. Back on 18th Oct 2018 I completed a five planet observation in broad daylight. At the time Jupiter was at mag -1.8 and 30 degrees from the Sun. Refer to my Observing Report:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=170943

You can see my observation using a 140mm refractor noted: "Jupiter - faint disc with main bands just visible.” To add to this, my recollection is that Jupiter was certainly faint, but quite easy to see in the FOV.

This time it will be harder:
Jupiter will be closer to the Sun meaning more glare and heightened safety issues given the Sun is following Jupiter across the sky. Jupiter, and indeed the Moon, will be much more difficult to observe.
The Moon will not be visible naked eye. It will require some daytime observing experience to find the Moon with a push to scope. It will be doable, but a challenge.
Alternatively, it will require an aligned goto mount to find the targets. Goto mounts on fixed piers will be fine, but it would take some planning to set up a scope in the field and have it aligned ready to find the Moon and Jupiter. Perhaps set up and align in darkness and leave set up for the daylight observation. Daylight alignment can be done but needs some knowledge and experience
A polarising filter will greatly assist the observation by darkening the bright background sky. Red filters can help too.

Incidentally there was a daytime Lunar occultation of Saturn on 23rd May. Saturn was well placed, perhaps 160 degrees from the Sun. I have not seen any commentary or feedback from anyone seeking to observe this event. Admittedly, Saturn was at mag 0.5, so much fainter. I chased this observation but was thwarted by very thin high cloud. I have observed Saturn in daylight previously at this magnitude, so it was certainly doable.

There is a grazing Lunar occultation of Saturn visible only from southern Tasmania in November - my next daytime observing challenge!