View Single Post
Old 14-09-2013, 11:51 AM
Peter.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally View Post
Alistair,

What is the image circle of the 10"F4 ?
How well corrected is it ? - ie how much of it will be useful ?
How much weight can your OTA/focusser support ?

The image scale of the KAF8300 chip is 1.09 arc sec/pix
The image scale of the SXVR-H814 is 0.75 arc sec/pix

That oversampling may come at the expense of FOV, but I dont know what your image circle is so cant comment.

If it were me I would be considering a chip that has maybe from 7 to 9 micron pixels - yielding an image scale of around 1.5 to 1.8 as/p but maybe 6 to 10 microns

Don't forget that second hand opens up the field considerably
Plenty of cheap STL11000's about these days !

Rally
When it comes to newtonians the field of view is pretty much user set by the size of the secondary they choose to use, coupled with the diameter of the corrector. I too think that at this focal length you would be better off with a larger pixel camera because if you want to image deep sky oversampling reduces the amount of flux that gets to your sensor. For instance I image mainly at 1.49 arc seconds per pixel, people at 2-3 arc seconds per pixel will gather signal a lot faster.

The STL is a great choice for the 10 inch F4, however they are going to be expensive because if it is a GSO 10 inch F4 scope the secondary will not be big enough, the focuser will not hold the camera, the aluminium tube wall will flex as the scope moves, and the corrector you need to fully illuminate these chips is a 3 inch wynne or the like.