Thread: What Telescope?
View Single Post
Old 13-01-2006, 01:14 PM
janoskiss (Steve H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmarsh81
I have just called him and told him I am only going to get the scope at the moment. All additional eyepieces and barlows will come from myastroshop.

I will not change the 20mm to a 25mm as the only ones he has are optex. I don't know what these are like.
They are probably fine. I would very much doubt that they would be any worse than what comes with the scope. So I would go for the 25mm instead of the 20mm. The 25 + 10mm are probably an ideal starter pair.

FYI: A quick google search for
optex plossl site:.au
will find you Optex plossls for $55 within Australia (incuding the 6.3mm).

Quote:
While on topic, would I need two barlows? ie one 1.25" and one 2", or do simply put a 2-1.25 reducer in.
The University Optics 2" barlow has to be one of the the best value for money barlows around. I spent many hours observing with it and I still cannot get over how good it is. Yes it will work with both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces.. Did I mention that the Shorty-Plus was a waste of money and a huge disappointment? Maybe go with the televue 2x barlow if you want to stick with the 1.25" format (which you might to save on weight).

But for starters it might be worth you getting an inexpensive 2x barlow, $20-$30 second hand, just so you can up the magnification occasionally. I am sure there are many unused barlows around. Just put a Wanted ad in the Buy&Sell forum.