Thread: Hi All
View Single Post
Old 16-04-2021, 09:23 PM
Swongky (Shane)

Hi All

Hi All,

I'm Shane from Sydney and followed an old work colleague of mine into the idea of astrophotography (particularly with the intent of capturing DSOs).

At the start of 2020, I got a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro GoTo Mount and a
ZWO ASI290MM Mini Autoguider. The next step was to get a scope and I was thinking of using my old Nikon D60.

It's now 2021 and I literally haven't progressed from the start of 2020. I'd have thought COVID would've been a great opportunity to have got into it.
I do have 2 kids 5 and under and get woken up in the middle of the night often by them so am often tired. Have I jumped into this too soon!?

What I did end up doing was getting a set of entry level Celestron 20x80 binos, a phone mount adapter and shooting the moon with my phone through them Nice and quick, no long/multiple exposures or stacking required.

But what to do with the other gear. Any advice for a busy/tired dad? Do I lug this equipment around (which is not a full set up) and maybe use it in 10 years time, or should I sell up and wait till the kids are older and I actually have more energy and rebuy stuff that's probably advanced since today. Any one been in the same boat?

Shane