Thread: Centaurus A
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2022, 05:01 PM
Mickoid (Michael)

Centaurus A

While no where near as good as the two posts of this object below me, I'm still amazed at what the ASI224mc can achieve on Deep Sky targets. This one I shot last weekend with a 6 inch Newt from Bortle 6 skies. The camera or Sharpcap did do some weird things to the 45 x 2min subs I took. There were some strange gradients to work on, some Amp Glow and they were stretched to a yellow colour cast which I initially couldn't remove. I opened the subs up in ASI Studio and they looked washed out and yellow. I reset the ASI Studio histogram and the subs looked completely normal. When I saved the sub with the reset histogram as a .tif file, it changed to mono with a very obvious matrix background. So I saved it as .png file to see if there was a difference and bingo, the .png file showed normal colour bayered characteristics. So I did this to all 45 subs and then saved them back to 16 bit .tif files in Photoshop for stacking in DSS. Very time consuming. My M83 I shot on the same night had none of these problems at all, so something changed in the settings when I shot NGC 5128 that I was unaware of. Oh well, you live and learn as they say!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (CentaurusA_6inchNewt.jpg)
204.6 KB104 views