View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 12:10 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
Adam,
Thanks for getting back to me
You have a very lightly loaded EQ6-R mount , even doubling that payload , provided your well balanced you still should get good guiding numbers

I’m carrying just under 15kg requiring 3 x 5.1kg counterweights with an extension shaft
I’m in two minds whether to Hypertune, my only issue with my guiding is the odd Ra spike ( which is not PE ) getting my total rms value lower is just a want not a need
The odd Ra spike ( Dec is rock solid ) could be caused by worm drive , micro binding on Ra axis or just atmospheric conditions relating to guide Star
Sometimes I can guide beautifully for 15 to 20 mins and then a 1.5 to 2 arc sec Ra spike occurs which leaves you with a slightly bloated star when you zoom in 100% ( usually I discard that sub )
Maybe I’m asking too much out of a $2.5k mount
Thanks for your input
Cheers
Martin
well there's that old rule of "don't go past X percentage on your mount's capabilities" and depending who you talk to, X is a variable figure

I think 2/3 is about right. The EQ6-R does 22kg from memory so you're just over that. However I've heard people have used 18+kg systems on the EQ6-R and had great results, so I guess as you go heavier, you have to spend more time getting your balancing absolutely spot on with appropriate bias. You previously mentioned using a clamp meter to balance, have you gone down that route yet?