View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 08:31 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pugh View Post
I am still working to optimize my systems and of course fires and smoke have kept me closed for weeks also.

But I have been open the past few nights.

These 2 images taken tonight: They basically demonstrate the potential of the 36cm f2.2 RASA.

Both images are 3 mins in duration, QHY600M, Baader f2 Ha filter. One is binned 2x2, the other unbinned.
Images are also cropped...no flats acquired yet.

Martin
Very impressive for only 3 minutes exposure time. Lovely tight stars.
2x2 binning does not seem to make much of a gain as a CCD 2x2 does.

Any evidence of these halos around bright stars on LRGB images yet? (Alnitak doesn't count).
The FSQ106EDX4 images I linked show them being quite bad. Not sure if its the filters (as I recall the Baaders weren't so great for reflections) or the antireflection coating on the sensor window (if it has one).

Some guys on Cloudy Nights were getting some banding. It does not seem much of a problem and some think it may be from cables, power interference but have you seen that at all?

I read that in high gain mode the full well capacity drops to 16,700 down from 51,000 electrons but lower read noise. I suppose that would limit high gain's use to narrowband where the dynamic range needed is lower or use high gain with binning.

The Trius 695 camera has a well depth of around 20,000 electrons and I found that problematic with fuzziness around the brighter stars. Shorter exposures helped there. But small well depth is something I would avoid since that experience.

Greg.