View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 05:07 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I was going to have a go at a suitable design for you today and have given the matter a great deal of thought.
The idea would be to cut a section out of the roof approx 6ft x 6ft. Add A frame with a connection between the frames at the edges...this gives you your hole.
Now with a little extention to the roof section cut out you have your roll off roof. Lay rails on top of the roof so the roll off has tracks either side. Add framing to the roof roll off for wheels. I really expect all the frame can be done in pine but check load capacity.. estimate the weight of the roof cut out...to me it is an easier job than one could first think... you will need to winch it back and forth and could use 4wd type winches..I use two approx $200 each from Autobarn .. each will pull 1000 kg ..your roll off maybe 250kg at a guess ..I have not done any calculation..but I would be surprised if more..use many little wheels..I use eight each side day $5 each in my small roll off observatory.

The large roll off only has 2 each side and suffers but the winches scull drag it so no worries.
Best idea is to make a model using balsa and pretend you are building it in real life..so as to realise you will build the roll off part on the roof so you will think of supports during the build..that sort of thing. I think I could do it for it for around $1300 to $1700...all up including pier.
Alex