View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 02:48 PM
glend (Glen)

It is possible to over do it in a big way. Some folks will swear you need a minimum of a cubic metre of concrete. Don't buy into that thinking. Think about whether you ever want to get it out, a question most ignore. It is easy to put concrete into a hole, much harder to take it out.
I do believe in the poured pier method, that is how I did mine, it is usually cheaper than a block footing where you buy a steel pier to bolt to the top. With your clay base, I agree driving in some star posts, or simple galvanised angle iron, will do alot for stabilisation. It also means less digging in heavy clay. A footing of 0.6mx0.6mx0.6m can be enough if you pour it on top of an arrangement of star posts.
My footing and pier were a continuous pour, in other words the pier is poured into its form as soon as the footing can support it, and do put reo into the pier form. Don't forget to buy J bolts from Bunnings, these are stuck into the top of the pier in a triangle arrangement to serve as the mount points for your cage.
Have fun, mixing bags of concrete in a 20L bucket will make a man out of you. Haha. I recommend a max of two bags per bucket, and get some good heavy duty rubber gloves to wear, concrete will rip your hands apart. Lazy people get a concrete mini truck delivery.