View Single Post
Old 28-10-2006, 05:59 PM
davidpretorius
lots of eyes on you!

Peltiers - negative boundary layer and some photos

Well, last night was a great night.

Forecast of 0 degrees, the low pressure system had gone thru by 6pm, and a lovely clear night ensued!!! The only downer was wind from the south = not great seeing.

Turned the peltiers and internal fans and also the side mounted boundary layer one and went to bed.

Got up at 3am and went outside. Mirror -3.5 degrees, ambient -2.7 degrees. AND No, i do not have that back the front.

Started some collimation and got some very nice diffraction rings but as the clouds came in the ambient rose to -1 degrees, the diffreaction rings messed up which confirmed what bird and others have said, there were negative boundary layer issues. With a 2.5 degree difference, but this time the mirror was 2.5 degrees cooler than ambient.

I had some lovely views as the clouds went away and the ambient went back to -2 and by then the mirror had warmed to -2 as well. The prevailing wind meant the seeing was not great, but I knew everything that could be under my control was!

Finished off the morning by grabbing the little binos and sitting back and just panning between m45 and eta carina. Saw 2 meteors that left trails of 1 second.

So nice and peaceful, took me back to rumples and i were at snake valley earlier this year watching the sun come up...................
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMAGE_070.jpg)
92.5 KB29 views
Click for full-size image (IMAGE_071.jpg)
113.9 KB34 views
Click for full-size image (IMAGE_072.jpg)
89.8 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (IMAGE_073.jpg)
73.2 KB21 views