View Single Post
Old 20-05-2021, 04:56 PM
gregbradley

Good review. I am finding my QHY600m to be a nice little beastie but it needs to be tamed.

One thing I might add which is a bit of an issue with CMOS. None of them have shutters. That means taking darks mean you have to remove the camera (which is extremely sensitive to tilt) and then take darks in a dark location with some sort of cap (the supplied cap is not lightproof).

You also need a larger library of darks for the different gain/offset settings and in the case of QHY, 3 different main types of readout modes.So that is a lot of darks and biases.

Its a bit wild imaging at 3.76 micron pixel level. It shows up most little defects you may normally "get away with". It seems to be at its worst at short focal lengths.

I haven't seen any reflections from mine but I use Gen 2 Astrodons and have for years They are expensive but its a one off cost and it gets used over many years with no problems with all my cameras interchangeably.

I use a FLI filter wheel and it stays on the scope and different cameras can be attached to it.

Are you seeing subtle dark horizontal lines/banding that is random? I haven't seen it a lot but it does seem to only appear in heavily underexposed subs.
I haven't seen walking noise yet either. Again I think its a under exposure symptom.

Otherwise the QHY600m handles much the same as my other CCDs and I use it the same way. Perhaps sometimes shorter 5 minute exposures on bright core objects rather than my standard 10 minute exposures.

AUD$3300 is a lot but what Astro CCD camera can you get for that new? They generally start at about $5,000 at least for a new one.

Greg.