View Single Post
Old 26-09-2017, 05:56 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
Hi
I am a beginner to astrophotography and am looking for suitable software for pre and post processing . As I've spent most of my funds on equipment, I cannot afford Maxim DL , Pixel Insight, of Photoshop. Will be shooting with a ZWOi224MC. Will consider upgrading the software when I have more experience and more money.

Have been looking at Astroart and Startools. Which of these would be best to use in my situation? Any guidance welcome.
You'll need a guiding software. PHD is good and free. Also download the ASCOM platform also free.

You'll need to capture subs so Nebulosity would be the cheapest, well under $100 and it works well with PHD.

I've used both programs for over 10y now. Still using the same. It's very basic and it works out of the box if you don't need automation or more advanced features.

You'll need a stacking program to calibrate, register and stack your subs. DSS (Deep sky stacker) is free. CCD Stack ia around $400. MAXIM is dearer because it does a lot more, including image capture, guiding etc.. CCD Stack is only a stacking software like DSS but better.

PixInsight is around the $400 mark as well and will do all of the above and some more. It's a processing program. If you are proficient with PI you might get away with not using Photoshop.