View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 01:30 PM
MortonH
Deprived of starlight

Last weekend at Katoomba I had my SV110ED and Skywatcher 150mm Mak (f/12) set up side by side on my dual-scope mount. I had a 22mm Panoptic in the Mak (82x) and a Pentax 10mm in the SV (77x).

In general, I was surprised at how similar the views were. In other words, while the Mak was a bit brighter the contrast in the SV made up for a lot of it. However, I should qualify this by admitting that there was no dew shield on the Mak, which might have improved the contrast.

Steffen had his Intes MK-67 there and it also showed more contrast than the Skywatcher Mak, which was no surprise. I'd assume that your MK65 performs similarly to the MK-67.

So, extrapolating my setup to your question, I might think that a good 120-130mm refractor would perform similarly to your Mak on many objects, and also allow low magnification views that the Mak can't achieve. I think the 100mm would be quite a bit dimmer.

However, the question is how do you define "good" in relation to the quality of your Mak? I've never looked through a 120ED but I imagine the contrast would be a bit below the Tak and AP scopes you mention.

Don't know if this helps or not

Good luck!