View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 04:54 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Looking good Paul

I assume you will just be bolting piers to the slab, without separate pier footings?..how thick did you go with the main slab?

There is what looks like a small concrete slab extension, next to your Scopedome, what will go there?

Mike
We will be bolting down the piers to the slab with no isolation piers. We went with a 200mm slab depth. The slab weighs about 32 tonne, so will be heavy enough to operate multiple scopes over it simultaneously. The roof only moves for cloud, clear skies and mornings. I used a 200mm slab for the dome and have found no vibration present at all.

The small extension was for stepping into the dome. It was a little difficult getting in and out of it, so the material left over from the main pour was put there by the concreters. Nothing visual being used there just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
yeah looking good... although I'm super curious as to what this is... nothing to do with AP!
I used to do wildlife photography (would love to get back into it), and anything like this just says "big nest", especially as there are what appears to be tracks leading to it.

Although from this angle it could be anything, including a mini rubbish tip!
That is a wombat warren. There are two or three living in that warren. We have several larger warrens on the property with one warren taking a space as large as a soccer pitch doubled. It is huge. There are 30-50 wombats in that particular warren. These guys are not a problem this close to the observatory site, so long as they stay that distance away. They help to keep the grass down too, sort of portable mowers.