View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 01:12 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfranks View Post
Eddie takes stunning NarrowBand images with, I think, a Mono camera. From the sound of it, you guys might be using a colour camera which may add unwanted complexity??. A Mono camera gives all the images in grayscale and you assign whatever colour you like: HOS = Ha-Red, OIII-Green, SII-Blue. SHO ("Hubble Colours") = SII-Red, Ha-Green, OIII-Blue. There are other combinations as well.

Charles
Hi Charles - correct I'm using a modified Canon 40D DSLR. The narrowband filters are the Astronomik EOS clip in variety which sit over the sensor in the camera body. I've achieved passable results with the 12nm Ha filter so far...
http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k...urrent=20b.jpg
...and inspired by Eddie's work, I purchased the equivalent OIII filter to try my hand at widefield synthetic RGB - so as you see I don't shy from unwanted complexity!!
Detail on the 10min images I took last night using the OIII filter really is very faint (as expected) and I will have to push exposure times way out of the HEQ5 comfort zone I reckon.
But as you've said, a mono camera is the tool of choice for this stuff and this I don't have. So my question still remains - in the "RGB" produced by using the OIII filter, where does the useable data reside...in the blue or green channels? Or, does one just convert the RGB to greyscale and use that?
I'm starting to confuse myself I fear!!
Doug