View Single Post
Old 01-03-2021, 08:35 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

For a newtonion, there is not many improvements to be made between one or another, I would hazard a guess some brands hold collimation better than others, but that can be worked around if needed,

There are other options. e.g. saxon through bintel, but they also seem to have stock issues with the collapsables.

If I was to set a solid difference, that could be the focuser, and that it can reach focus with a camera, a number of visual newtonians can struggle with with this (found out the hard way my self)

As the focual length is the same, I should point out there is a tradeoff when it comes to F ratio, the lower the F ratio, the more Coma comes in to play, and the better you have to focus it, but you get more light for the same exposure time,

And finally you can use a Dob for astro, however it uses a device called a rotator, to correct for the rotation in the sky.

I'm kind of curious what drew you to a collapsible. there is no real weight saving between the 2 options, or is it more how heavy the individual pieces are? as the tube does seperate from the base.