View Single Post
Old 31-12-2016, 10:39 PM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Hi Jackie,
I have the same problem. Day time terrestrial viewing is fine but trying to view a point source of light, such as a star or planet, produces two images. The gap between the two bright objects is relatively small for me in low power binoculars and with a little concentration I can merge the two images. However, the gap is significant and a real problem using binoviewers on a telescope. No matter how hard I try I am unable to successfully merge the two images. At medium power, I have found that I can merge the two images of the moon but my eyes soon tire. If I then concentrate on an individual crater, the two images quickly diverge again.
I mentioned this to my optometrist. After a few measurements and tests, he confirmed that I have a slight muscular misalignment of my eyes which is sufficient to prevent my brain merging the two images. There is nothing that I can do about it.
So, I have reluctantly sold my binoviewer and matching eyepieces and have resigned myself to mono observing.

Cheers

Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieP View Post
Hi, I know this is an old conversation, but I have similar problem with binoculars. They are just fine during the day, looking at general scenery, which is crystal clear, and I think I have properly culminated them. But when looking at the heavens at night, I see 2 of each thing I look at! I don't know if maybe it is just my eyes/brain not processing those little pinpoints of light very well.