View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 05:19 PM
colinmlegg (Colin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman View Post
excuse my naiivety and spellink , but isn't that what Freds device does? Automatically adjust iso/fstop/shutterspeed/ colostomy bag drainage ( just kidding on the last one ....oh i try to b funny)over a period of time?
Dooh I just realised ....its not a uniform linear drop off and ramp up of light. Its more exponential.

So in that case, is there maybe a bright spark out there that could code a sequence ( sorry I'm not savvy on the open source coding stuff) that would be in time with the eclipse and could control the DSLR via Freds doohicky? ( or similar device ( arduino) sorry... is Freds device based on Arduino? )
I'm guessing that the parameters would have to be from previous experiences.....so that would difficult.
I guess thats why I thought that eyeballing would be the go.......
As you said Colin, Dslr's aren't fast enough......Go NASA

Bartman....going to bed now.....
hope I didn't make to much sense
It does do that, but the issue is how quickly you can adjust the settings and fire the shutter to follow the light curve. Best case is around 0.5 fps if you're adjusting things like ISO and aperture (although Fred's using a novel approach to do this and might be able to do better than USB?). So if you use a base frame rate of 0.5 fps, you'll only get 60 frames of totality at the centreline. You could use 0.5 fps for partial and 1 fps for totality, but the step from one to the other maybe noticeable in the final footage. Maybe worth testing that assumption?

3 or 4 camera synced HDR is a good idea. That should be enough dynamic range to smoothly ramp through the final partial phase into totality and could be done in post without needing to worry about light curves and would get you back to 1fps.