View Single Post
Old 16-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Rick,

My whole argument revolves around the point that making dark frame libraries for a DSLR is simply not worth it. Your dark frames will be affected by the slightest change in temperature. Here's an example for you; start shooting a bunch of 5-minute dark frames, about 1 hour prior to sunrise, and let them go through to 1 hour after sunrise. Load all the files in Windows Explorer and observe their file sizes. The file sizes will get bigger, and bigger. This also happens when shooting your objects in the middle of the night; each dark frame's size will be different to the last.

Unless you are capable of building a cooling mod for your camera which will guarantee your ambient down to sub-degree level (noise doubles for every six-degree shift in temperature), it's simply not worth it.

Cooled CCDs excel in this regard in that they can be very, very closely regulated, and, therefore is quite OK to build dark frame libraries with them.

This is just my opinion, and is what has worked for me. It all boils down to how exact you want to be. I'm a perfectionist in this regard and couldn't see myself using dark frame libraries.

H