View Single Post
Old 24-04-2021, 07:44 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
thanks Greg, will look forward to seeing your AP130 images. Funny you mention the stars. After using the riccardi reducer for the last month (and on this and other images here) I swapped back to the straight TS-optics flattener and F6 the last couple of nights... now I know plenty of variables, seeing, greater impact of guiding at longer FL etc, but I dont seem to be getting my stars as tight in the subs... they seem more bloated even with a fair bit of effort focussing... not bad just not as tight as using the reducer ... I'd have expected the opposite... could be the riccardi is just a step up in optilcal quality over the TS flat... it's a step up in price anyway
I would expect stars to be tinnier with a reducer because you are taking in a wider field of view so individual everything is at a smaller scale.

I have a Riccardi reducer and it makes things very sensitive to tilt.I put it on a CFF105 and it magnified a tilt error badly. I'll get it right but it will take an hour or so.

The AP has available the extremely high quality Quad TCC which is .72X as a reducer/flattener. I have had one before and its a great accessory giving F4.5 on the AP130. Unfortunately its also expensive. It does work on other refractors to at the right spacing.

Greg.