View Single Post
Old 26-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Meru (Michael)
More stars please!

+1 Plate solving. There are plenty of links on the internet which describe how this works and how to go about using it (depending on what software you end up choosing of course). Especially with your set up shouldn't be too hard to set up

I personally use MaximDL and the plate solving on the software is amazing. If you decide thats all a bit difficult to set up, this is what I did before I set up plate solving:

1. Get the original image. Do a quick stretch so I can see the stars & object clearly.
2. Find the center of the image. Could use Paint or even just a ruler against your screen
3. Take a 15 or 30sec 2x2 or 3x3 binned image of your current image and then compare the center to the one from the original.

If you dont have EQdirect or ability to use a "Point Here" feature (where you click on the image and it will move the scope to center where you've clicked), its a royal PITA to center an object manually with the hand controller. If you do choose to go down this path make sure you've got your lodestar all calibrated, then center. Otherwise during calibration it will move scope off center and have to frame again!