View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 07:33 PM
irwjager (Ivo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin66 View Post
IVO,
Sorry,
what I'm trying to say is that even if you add the contribution of the light from the 1st and 2nd rings ( total star energy = 94%) the apparent saturated star image still seems to exceed the linear diameter of the rings....
Ok, what sort of excess energy/starlight are you observing?
Quote:
The background shot noise level will be sqrt max intensity, which I'm sure would exceed the residual star energy...so no additional signal to expand the image???
You be must taking really short exposures for the shot noise to drown out the Airy disk! There are many examples of a diffracted Alnitak overwhelming the Horse Head nebula for instance (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...ad.php?t=83886), even though Alnitak was never even projected on the CCD (its light still made it through the aperture of the scope).
Quote:
I probably need to use the photometry aperture feature (AA5) to better determine how the summed ADU count in each star image changes. This should be linear (for non- saturated images) - but what about a saturated image?
You hit the nail on the head - the way your CCD deals with saturation of its wells varies wildly. But it is, alas, almost never truly linear. Saturation is dealt with in various way by the anti-blooming circuits of your CCD (if any). Fitting a Gaussian curve to a saturated star is therefore not very reliable.