View Single Post
Old 13-03-2013, 08:58 PM
EricB (Eric)
Waiting for good seeing!

Scope options for lunar & planetary imaging

Hi there,

I have now been imaging for over a year and having a absolute ball! I have mostly imaged the Moon (tons of it), Jupiter, and will hopefully image Saturn soon. So far, my main interest has really been lunar AP. I just can't get enough of the Moon.

I am very happy with my current scope (a 10" Sky-Watcher GO-TO Dobs). As a beginners scope, it's been great. However, it's really a visual scope, and I have started to think about getting another scope in say a couple of years (I need to save up) that is more suited to AP. Given my interest in lunar and planetary photography, I wonder what would constitute a good scope for me that would be a good step up from the 10" dob.

I am quite attracted by the idea of getting a SCT such as a C9.25 or a C11. I quite like the convenience of the Alt Az mount which can be set up in a couple of minutes, so a fork mount would be easy for me and (I assume) wouldn't be a problem for lunar and planetary AP. But, as I want to eventually dab into DSO AP, an EQ6 may be preferable. This said, I am not set on a SCT.

The astro bug has bitten hard enough for me to want to continue this hobby for years to come, so I want to get a good scope that will last, and that is prominently good at lunar and planetary photography, but could also do some DSO occasionally.

I would be very grateful for any suggestion, comment and advice.

Cheers,

Eric

PS I use DMKs and ASI120 cameras