View Single Post
Old 08-05-2023, 07:49 AM
Finbar (Barry)

1st episode.So glad to have a promising evening ahead, set up the tripod for the CPC 1100, fetched the beastie (about 30kg) and misstepped on the lower of two shallow steps. On the way down, knowing nothing could stop us, steeled self to hear shattering. The beastie took out a planter box frame, then the bottom of the mount hit the concrete path, I hit it, and we landed in the garden, me on the cat. No sound of breaking, but a rib so sore I thought it was cracked, and took weeks to stop hurting. Cat had minor scratches and dinged vent cover; optics fine, collimation fine.

2nd episode. Having travelled the 7 hours to Richmond (Qld) for star gazing holiday, discovered late Friday morning on setting up the AZEQ6 in the backyard to do some field of view measurements that I had the power cable for the CPC! Minor meltdown followed. Search online, and Testar had what I needed but realised even express post would not help as the best new moon nights would pass. Made cut lunch, drove home, overnighted, left before dawn and returned to holiday home by lunchtime Saturday. Note to self: make check lists.