View Single Post
Old 29-06-2012, 11:35 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Ok Silv, I have only refractors from 60mm to 127mm and they are all under f7.5 so i dont have much focal lenght / magnification for any given eyepiece , so thats why I have the smaller f/l Vixen's 2.5mm - 10mm these allow me to get medium to high powers for the moon , plarets and double stars without using my barlow as I find that barlows are a pain in the dark as I always bump into it ? .True very annoying .
For example my 3mm gives me 166x in my 500mm fl 90mm APO which is plenty and the large eyeopening and 20mm eye relief is a joy , just one example .
For my Celestron Axiom LX 31mm and TV panoptics and naglers they are the best for low power large field of view , there is something about a large up to 5 degree + field using a quality refractor thats not seen in large , 10- 16 inch reflectors , oh yes the reflectors will go much much deeper , but the views are not as nice ( In my , and others eyes )
For example 2 weekends ago we had our dark sky night for june and I had my 60mm f5.9 TAK Flourite refractor out and using my 31mm Axiom , that is 11x and 6 degree field , the view of the eta Carina nebular ard huge surrounds was spectular !! , perfect pin prick stars of every colour across the entire field with the nebular in the middle , It blew every one there away and that included some large scope owners , up to 16 inches that night , Nice .
Thats just me , but I love my refractors .
Thats why , mate and its also fun trying to get a nice collection going , its taken me years . .Thanks to IIS ..
Brian.