View Single Post
Old 21-04-2022, 06:31 PM
Bassnut (Fred)
Narrowfield rules!

Im building a dome

I am following Pmrids (Peter) ROR with interest and was thinking of doing the same thing. But then, because I dont actually have space for the roll off roof area required I had to think again. I have bought myself a WF rig for home (CEM40G, Askar 500, ASI2600mm, more on that later) I thought id make a Dome!. Round anything is hard, so I was expecting a nightmare, this could go so wrong. Im no mechanical expert so I tried to keep it simple. I drew the frame required in Fusion 360 to see if it was viable using 30mm plywood from bunnings and galvanised sheet over it. I printed a flattened frame template from Fusion360, scaled it up, and started cutting with a jigsaw. The dome is 1500mm in diameter. I extended the bottom past 180deg because that allows a single shutter to open far enough without a seperate fold out section, and it looks cool. Looks cool always matters . Im still apprehensive how it will pan out, but its going well so far. I will 3d print a rack and pinion for the base and slot cover (in sections) and use small DC geared motors and a PLC to automate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dome v5.jpg)
153.0 KB230 views
Click for full-size image (cutting.jpg)
129.7 KB230 views
Click for full-size image (Frame.jpg)
171.9 KB246 views