View Single Post
Old 17-04-2024, 05:03 PM
Dave882 (David)

An Early Season Trifid - M20

It's early in the season for these Saggitarian beauties but some clear moonless nights earlier this month had me looking for a bright target pre-dawn.

There's a good reason why m20 (The Trifid Nebula) is such a popular target. With a mixture of Halpha, reflection and dark nebulous regions there's so much to look at. At longer focal lengths there's some really intriguing detail in the dusty strands, knots and swirls in the reflective regions and stellar jets, apparently caused by expelled gas and radiation caused by star formation.

Needed to do a 2-panel mosaic to fit her (damn c14s tiny fov) but ASIAIR plan mode made light work of this and APP stitching and mosaic tool is just so easy to use. I combined some data from 2022 as well and ended up with a total of just over 15hrs in total in 60sec subs.

Always tricky shooting broadband from my B7 location but this brighter targets are certainly a lot easier. Quite happy with the result but certainly always room for improvement so would love to hear your thoughts too!

Stacking and LP removal in APP, processing in PI.

Larger & More Detailed Version Here

C14 non edge @f7 with the Starizona reducer LF
EQ8 pro
Asi2600mc pro gain-100 (No Filter)
Asi220mm / celestron OAG
ZWO EAF
ASIAIR pro / APP / PI

And thanks for having a look!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M20_mosaic2x1_-lpc-cbg-crop_PI2_small.jpg)
193.3 KB86 views

Last edited by Dave882; 18-04-2024 at 11:33 AM.