View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 12:38 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
As I said, the soldering on the boards we got made up looked really good. Better than mine :-)

I suppose those guys sit and solder the whole day and have more soldering experience than we ever will.

Another option is to get some boards prefabbed with the difficult parts and to also order some blank boards. That gives us an option to do them manually at almost no extra cost.
That Idea has a lot of Merritt. I'd like to claim it as my own...but sadly it wasn't.

I saw Grim was putting on the FT2232 and ATMEGA328 (and the appropriate power supply lines, hooking these up to a 9V battery then installing ATMEGA firmware. Damn fine idea.

There could be a number of ways we can get boards part done...but I'd like to at least try some. I've been reading the Ukrainian thread and noted they had some issues with soldering, bridging pads and degraded ICs. I'm ramping up my equipment now to be able to R&R these SMD ICs easily.

If I have to replace a bad IC I'll use my hot Air Yihua 828D. I'm getting some ChipQuik (and some more nozzles) so I can apply the chipquik across the pins/pads of a bad IC (with an iron). Isolate it off on the PCB with Kapton tape then use hot air to low temperature melt these bridged joints all at once. The ChipQuik will lower the melt point significantly thus lessen PCB/Pad over heat. Of course I don't care about he removed IC.

I put them in a Voodoo container I have. Kinda like keeping the bones of something I've killed. I gaze at this container of dead parts with satisfied joy on occasions. This would be a good study case for some Psychiatrist.

This looks to be the easiest, safest method of IC removal! We certainly have attracted some outside interest and it's gaining.

Brendan