View Single Post
Old 23-07-2021, 08:38 AM
RB (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTrap View Post
About 20yrs ago when I used to fly RC helicopters, there was a model rocketry club that used our flying field. Was run through the local church and the rockets were built by kids. They needed multiple permits from different government departments to legally launch the rockets and the kids weren't allowed to press the launch button.

I guess it's a bit like flying drones - if you follow all of the rules, you'll rarely find an opportunity to fly them.

DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
As a kid in the early 1960s I used to buy Estes model rocket kits and engines from my local hobby shop. No restrictions, no permits, no adult supervision. Nothing like a bunch of 10 year old boys out in a field setting off rockets.
Yep, those were the days Glen !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamL View Post
Did a couple of model rocket flights.. from memory you do have to give up some info to buy the motors .. I do remember one getting a little tweak and at launch went vertical for 20 metres then horizontal for 50 + metres right towards the highway patrol team doing random tests near bye .. and it was all painted green like a missile.. when that motor died at 1.3 seconds and fell short oh god I was so

happy not to have to run
LOL Graham, lucky escape !!

Up until a few years ago, you could still buy the model rockets and Estes engines from local hobby shops, even Hobyco in Sydney.
Never got asked any questions etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Tucker View Post
All this discussion about launching rockets reminds me of the movie October Sky which was based on the memoir of Homer H. Hickam Jr. Must get around to reading the book.
Exactly Hans, that's where I got the idea for my username, Rocket Boy (RB).